Duration: 01 January 2019 – 31 December 2021
Financing: European Union's H2020-LCE research and innovation programme under grant agreement №818369.
Main objective: to produce a mass deployment of improved and market ready agrobiomass heating solutions running on agrobiomass in Europe.
Agrobiomass is a large, underexploited and indigenous resource, which can support the achievement of the European Energy and Climate targets, while promoting rural development and circular economy.
Through its activities, AgroBioHeat aims to raise confidence on agrobiomass, empower local stakeholders to unblock the market and influence the development of the European and national framework in a way that is favourable to agrobiomass heating solutions market uptake. Actions will be mainly located in 6 European countries (EL, ES, FR, RO, HR and UA; 5 EU-28+Ukraine) where an extensive national movement is intended to be created by the engagement, alignment of interests and creation of policy, financial and social conditions favouring the expansion of agrobiomass heating; at the EU level, specific policy recommendations regarding the efficiency and emissions of agrobiomass heating solutions will be passed on to relevant bodies for the development of new regulations.
To reach the project’s main aim, the following eight specific objectives are proposed:
- To increase agrobiomass for heating deployment accompanying 8 flagship projects and triggering more than 80 initiatives.
- To raise trust among stakeholders in agrobiomass heating solutions.
- To provide guidance and recommendations to policy makers at local, regional and national level to understand and set the instruments that will overcome the barriers for the advancement of the agrobiomass heating sector.
- To influence the review of the Ecodesign Regulation for solid biofuels boilers and the implementation of emissions limits for heating facilities of 500 kW to 1 MW.
- To understand the social acceptance factors and local specificities behind the success or hindering the development of agrobiomass heating solutions.
- To promote changes in the mind-set of the value chain actors and clusters as well as to empower them for the deployment of agrobiomass heating solutions.
- To enhance the competitiveness position of the European biomass heating solutions manufacturers and installers.
- To promote the visibility of agrobiomass heating to a large audience, including target and key actors as well as the general public.
Project target and key actors:
The main target actors of AgroBioHeat are the main potential adopters of agrobiomass heating solutions in a rural content:
- ESCOs & installers;;
- renewable energy cooperatives;
- the public sector;
- farms and agro-industries.
In addition to the target actors, three sets of key actors are also critical for AgroBioHeat:
- policy makers;
- the local community.
The authors of the publication are responsible for its content. The information provided may not coincide with the position of the European Union. The European Commission is not responsible for any use of the information provided on this site.