The final meeting of the consortium of the project "Take-off for sustainable supply of woody biomass from agrarian pruning and plantation removal (uP_running)" was held in Brussels on July 16-18, summarizing the results of almost four years of activities of 11 consortium companies from 7 European countries, including Ukraine.
The aim of the uP_running project, which has been active in Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia, France, and Portugal, was to unlock the strong potential of woody biomass residues produced by agrarian pruning and plantation removals and to promote its sustainable use as energy feedstock.
The main developments of the uP_running project are as follows.
- Analytics. Analysis of the sector of use of woody biomass from agrarian pruning and plantation removal (APPR biomass) for energy purposes in the Vinnytsia region and Ukraine. The document includes a description of the current potential and state of use of APPR biomass for energy purposes, the prerequisites for the development of the sector, SWOT analysis, action plan to accelerate the development of APPR biomass use.
- Sector analysis and Action Plan for the Demo Regions (including Vinnytsia region) (available in English);
- Sector analysis and Strategic Plan at national and EU levels (available in English);
- Policy Guidelines and Roadmap (available in English).
- Demos. One of the most important activities of the project is the implementation of 20 demonstration projects for the energy utilization of APPR biomass in five European countries (Greece, Italy, Spain and Ukraine). In the report on completed demonstrations, readers will find 20 "demos" that clearly and concisely describe the 20 pioneering initiatives that were accompanied by the project and the main results of the demonstrations.
- uP_running demonstration case studies analysis (available in English)
4 videos of the demos experience on the project's YouTube channel (also with English subtitles)
- Business activity. Due to the project activity, 4 new value chains are in the process of being implemented (2 are already operating on a commercial basis, with supply contracts signed). A detailed description of the four initiatives that have started their operations on an ongoing basis is presented in the documents below.
- Handbook of the new uP_running success cases (available in English).
- Capacity building and knowledge sharing. Training materials have been developed in the form of a Guide for consulting and presentations. As part of the special training, the training of consultants was carried out to work with the sector of APPR biomass energy use. Interested consultants could independently carry out consultations on the energy use of APPR biomass with the support of project experts. Below are all the materials you can use to raise your awareness:
- Materials for training (available in English)
- Handbook for consultancy (available in English)
- Advocacy plan for EU (available in English)
- Observatory Web Tool. An online overview map has been launched where you can see useful data on the APPR biomass potential and collecting equipment work and more than 20 existing value chains in Europe identified by uP_running and EuroPruning projects.
- Success stories. A detailed description of ten flagship APPR biomass energy utilization projects (including two from Ukraine) is presented in a large report.
- Flagship success cases update (first release) (available in English)
- Flagship success cases update (second release) (available in English)
- Project monographs. Project experts from four countries (Spain, Italy, Greece, and Ukraine) have prepares three fundamental documents on various aspects of the energy use of APPR biomass.
Performers of the up_Running project in Ukraine:
|This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement No 691748.|