On April 20, an expert discussion on the topic: “The beginning of hydrogen energy production in Ukraine: opportunities and technical barriers” was held. The event was organized by the Ukrainian Institute for the Future. During the event, UABIO Head of the Board of the Bioenergy Association of Ukraine Georgii Geletukha spoke about the prospects of biomethane production in Ukraine.
The main accents in the speech:
- Why biomethane is not a “transitional” fuel to green hydrogen and will coexist with it;
- Biogas and biomethane potential;
- World indicators of biomethane development in the world;
- Decarbonization of the natural gas sector by 2050: the contribution of biomethane;
- EU biomethane plans;
- Raw materials for biogas/biomethane production in Ukraine (read more about the significant raw material resource in the materials on the SAF platform);
- Ukrainian legislation regulating the production and consumption of biomethane;
- Physical properties of biomethane and hydrogen;
- The concept of “green” hydrogen conversion into biomethane;
- REGATRACE project (Renewable gas trade);
- Zoning of biomethane production and assessment of the possibility and conditions of connection of biomethane producers to natural gas transmission and distribution systems in Ukraine within the project of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).