Biomethane zoning and assessment of the possibility and conditions for connecting of biomethane producers to the gas transmission and distribution systems of Ukraine
We are ready to share information about a new project “Biomethane zoning and assessment of the possibility and conditions for connecting of biomethane producers to the gas transmission and distribution systems of Ukraine”, funded by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
Within the project assessment of the biomethane production potential and conditions for its use in the gas transmission and distribution systems of Ukraine will be done.
Three organizations are involved in the project:
- SEC “Biomass” (UABIO member),
- Bioenergy Association of Ukraine.
The project has several stages:
- Assessment of the biomethane production potential at the level of individual regions (oblasts) of Ukraine (implementation of anaerobic digestion technology; using green hydrogen; as well as the production of hydrogen from biomethane, based on available technologies).
- Analysis of Ukrainian main and distribution gas pipelines structure taking into account the geographical distribution of biomethane production potential.
- Analysis of the technical capabilities of transition and distribution gas pipelines to receive biomethane (assessment of the technical barriers to biomethane injection including the impacts of the biomethane trace components in terms of corrosion: CO, HCN, H2S, NH3, HCl, HF, etc. and the impact of silica compounds (siloxanes).
- Description of economic conditions and technical aspects of biomethane supply to gas networks pipelines.
- Legal analysis of conditions and requirements for injection of biomethane to distribution gas system network or transportation gas system network and its further transportation as a commodity from Ukraine to EU countries under Ukrainian laws.
Also you can find a lot of interesting information about the prospects of biomethane projects in Ukraine on the SAF platform.
It will be recalled that UABIO is a partner of the SAF Ukraine (Sustainable Agribusiness Forum) that was created in 2017 on the initiative and support of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).