The market presents a lot of modern gas engines for cars, heavy vehicles, ships and trains that can work on biomethane. Most car manufacturers offer models that operate on compressed methane. There is also the possibility to refit a petrol engine to gas-powered engine. Approximately 10% of biomethane produced in Europe is used as a motor fuel, especially in countries such as Sweden, Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Iceland.
Opportunities for using biomethane in Ukraine include:
- Production of electricity and heat from biomethane using a gas transmission network.
- Storage of biomethane in the natural gas network for the production of electricity at peak load.
- The use of biomethane as a motor fuel for municipal transport and agriculture.
- Replacement of natural gas with biomethane. Biomethane can be used for any purpose as a natural gas substitute.
- Export of biomethane to the EU using the National Register of Biomethane Production and Consumption.
The Bioenergy Association of Ukraine since 2019 is a partner of the platform of sustainable agribusiness SAF Ukraine.