On October 23, the first meeting of the working group within the REGATRACE project took place. The experience of renewable gas usage in Europe, biomethane registers and markets in the EU were discussed during the workshop.
The REGATRACE project aims to develop biomethane and renewable gas markets in the EU, as well as to help establish a biomethane register in the EU Members and in Ukraine.
That is why the key tasks of the working group are to form a vision for the development of production and consumption of biomethane / renewable gases in Ukraine, in particular:
- Potential, goals and objectives;
- Strengths/weaknesses, opportunities, and threats;
- Joint stakeholder platform;
- Opportunities for the integration of different renewable gas technologies.
The vision for the development of production and consumption of biomethane / renewable gases in Ukraine will be presented at the second meeting of the working group.
Functions of the biomethane register and why is it needed in Ukraine?
- Formation of confirmation regarding the volumes of produced biomethane / renewable gas (Guarantees of origin).
- The register must also document final consumption. After consumption, the certificate is revoked to prevent reuse.
- It serves as a “beacon”, a center of knowledge for project developers, providing a platform for the exchange of information about renewable gases.
- Proof of a quality and quantity of produced biomethane / renewable gas.
- Control, audit, verification of the volume of produced / consumed biomethane / renewable gas.
- Sustention for national authorities, renewable energy quota management services and support schemes.
- Participate in the European network of national biomethane / renewable gas registries to facilitate cross-border trade and the development of this sector in Europe.
- Presentation of the REGATRACE project and features of cooperation with national working groups. Stefano Proietti, Loriana Paolucci, ISINNOVA, Italy.
- The state of production/consumption of biomethane/biogas in Ukraine, prospects, and problems. Georgii Geletukha, Head of the Board of the Bioenergy Association of Ukraine.
- General approach of the REGATRACE project and actions taken in Ukraine. Prospects for creating a biomethane register in Ukraine. Yurii Matveev, Member of the UABIO Expert Council of the Bioenergy Association of Ukraine.
REGATRACE (Renewable GAs TRAde Centre in Europe) aims to create an efficient trade system based on issuing and trading biomethane/renewable gases Guarantees of Origin (GoO). This will strongly contribute to the uptake of the European common biomethane market. It will be achieved by setting up a European biomethane/renewable gases GoO system, by setting up national GoO issuing bodies, by integrating GoO from different renewable gas technologies with electric and hydrogen GoO systems, through integrated assessment and sustainable feedstock mobilization strategies and technology synergies, through support for biomethane market uptake, and by transferring the results beyond the project’s countries.