In short, insufficient support for bioenergy from the state, business and people. But bioenergy in Ukraine is still developing:
- in 2018, the produced biofuels were enough to supply energy to 5 regions of Ukraine during the year;
- bioenergy development rate 31%/year (on average for the last 8 years);
- bioenergy in 2018 replaced 4 billion m3 of natural gas, which is 12% of all gas consumed by Ukraine (2018);
- bioenergy is 70% of all renewable energy sources (RES) in Ukraine (2018).
Energy Potential of Biomass in Ukraine is enough to replace all gas (10 billion m3), coal (22 million tons) and gasoline (1 million tons) imports (2018 data).
No, this is prohibited by the legislation of Ukraine. Fires can be tracked in the FIRMS system, which transmits data from NASA satellites: https://go.nasa.gov/3aBqBwp.
To answer the question we will use 5 Why? approach.
- Why? Biofuel has high humidity and ash content, extraneous matter, and different fractional composition.
- Why? Biofuels are produced from illiquid timber, wood, and agricultural residues without controlling the quality of the raw materials.
- Why? Residues are cheap raw material, but quality control requires investment and additional costs.
- Why? There are no requirements for the quality of raw materials and final products. The contracts specify only permissible limit values, the price also does not depend on quality, which implies the energy content of the fuel.
- Why? Low level of competition in the biofuel market, the poor motivation of consumers to pay for quality, and also traditional metering in units of mass or volume.
What does UABIO offer?
Creation of the biofuel exchange in Ukraine and accounting of biofuels in energy units.
Why is this a decision?
The exchange may establish requirements for the quality of biofuels and ensure compliance with them. And the quality of biofuels will be provided by suppliers according to clear requirements of the exchange.
Options for energy use of solid waste
1. Collection biogas at landfills and generation electricity and/or heat;
2. Mechanical-biological treatment (MBT) with possible biogas and/or solid fuel (RDF/SRF) generation with subsequent utilization at cement plants or in specialized CHP/boiler houses;
3. Heat treatment/utilization of mixed (residues after sorting) solid waste with electricity and/or heat generation.
Read more: https://uabio.org/en/energy-from-waste/
- You fill out the short online form: https://forms.gle/GwHSu4uNhBi2Cvtb6
- Our consultant will contact you and send you an application form and a membership fee invoice
- You pay the invoice according to the package you chose and send the completed and certified application form to us
- You receive a certificate of partnership and cooperation with UABIO
Advantages and conditions of membership are available in our Affiliate Offer.