On October 21, the Law on Amendments to the Law of Ukraine “On Alternative Fuels” on the Development of Biomethane Production №5464 was adopted in general. 285 deputies of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine supported this strategic document.
What does this law affect?
- Regulates the term “biomethane” as biogas, which in its physical and technical characteristics corresponds to the regulations on natural gas for supply to the gas transmission and distribution system or for use as motor fuel.
- Creates the “Biomethane Register” – an electronic system of accounts designed to register the amount of biomethane submitted to the gas transmission or gas distribution system and selected from the gas transmission or gas distribution system, as well as to form guarantees of biomethane origin, their transfer, distribution or cancellation, and certification.
- Establishes the procedure for forming guarantees of origin of biomethane.
The Bioenergy Association of Ukraine congratulates all those involved on the process of adoption of the document! We believe that biomethane production, consumption, and export will be launched in Ukraine.
Why is this law so important?
- Biomethane can significantly contribute to the decarbonization of the gas sector by making renewable gases available for transport, industry and heating.
- Biomethane as a complete analog of natural gas can be used for the production of heat and electricity, as a fuel for transport, as well as raw materials for the chemical industry.